Dream Poem 79: The Girl Who Wasn’t There

In a small back to back house a young adult is staying with us.
She is dangerous.
We are looking after her but I’m afraid
She is
Hard, unfeeling, uncaring.

One of ours has gone missing
The girl has sealed the woman inside a cardboard box
And fastened her behind a wall
Walled her and boxed her.

It takes us days to work out where the woman is
And when we finally breakthrough the wall it stinks
And the woman’s body is emaciated and covered in her own faeces.

I am more scared of the girl now
walking down stairs I see she is there, lying on the floor
She looks at me with hate in her eyes.

“You should go upstairs out of the way
You are indecent like that
No one wants to see you”

I go upstairs I’m really upset
The girl is always listening.

And as I looked at her, she disappeared – became invisible
But it meant she was everywhere and nowhere
Listening malevolently.
We have to get rid of her
Get her to go away
She means us harm
Great harm.

The husband finally comes to see me upstairs and explain what she has done.
I put a dressing gown on and go down stairs.

The girl is there
Acting pleasantly
Pretending nothing is wrong

As if horrors have not happened.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Pandemic Poems

Collect Art Publication July 2023