Dream poem 74: Castles in Carolina

The kids have a school trip coming up, going away on an adventure weekend
we have decided they are not going
we cannot afford it.
Because of being off work with cancer.

We are getting a lift,
It is extremely snowy and the woman is driving slowly
an advert comes on the radio for the school trip
saying there is a bursary that can be applied for.
I say to the woman,
“I’m going to apply for it”
then I realize that she has put up the money for the bursary
when I tell her I’m going to apply for it she is very enthusiastic.

Her husband is talking about next year,
the trip could be Scandinavia or the Carolinas
as there are beautiful old wrecks of castles along the coast line
I’m looking at him thinking,
“Hmmm Carolinas, I don’t remember any castles in Carolina.”
He explains they are old film lots, stage props for films.

I’m looking for a new student flat with a blind student.
I want one really close to college
maybe in Bretton Park
I’m staying in one of the flats over the summer holidays,
but she wants one out of town.
We go to look at the flat, it has many rooms and a laundry chute.

There is some danger.
Someone is searching for us.
And I tell her to go down the laundry chute.
She slides down.
I check around the flat one more time and I barrel down too.

It is so dusty and full of lint from the clothes.
The air is thick with lint-dust.
The cutes lead to a cavernous warehouse area
Destination of all the Chutes from the student flats.
It is cold and draughty and there are huge bins for washing to go into.

I have got to get out.

I am in a park and the aliens are there.
I have one in my sights
and I start to draw.
It is neat,
made of bent steel

it is on guard at the play park and I am drawing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Collect Art Publication July 2023

Five Pandemic Poems