Dream poem 84: Long Dress and a Sword

Two teams of us
On both sides of the hall
To take games

The game was to take on a new personality
And act out that personality
I was in love with someone on the opposite side
In every game they were on the opposite side
I tried to explain this to them one day but it was wasted words
We were never meant to be.

Fighting a battle
Long dress and a sword
I always win but I wonder
if I will win this time
and why me?

A grandma and baby are at the play ground
Grandma injures her neck and I hold the baby
and go to ring an ambulance.
I don’t want to dial the number
so I get someone else to do it
the baby is tiny
And starts rooting at my breast and crying.
But I tell it
“I’ve no milk anymore”
Meanwhile the grandma who should be lying flat
is playing on the park.

I’m opponents with another kingdom
Although I’ve won many times before
With my long dress and sword
I wonder if I will win this time.

I hear the court advisor talking to the other side
saying “You can do it, you can win.”
And I start feeling less sure of myself.
I have no advisor
just a king saying that
he expects me to win.


(image, iron sword and pommel, 6th century AD, Anglo Saxon )


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Collect Art Publication July 2023

Five Pandemic Poems