Seaside Traybake

Seaside Traybake:

Travelling around the headland, the cliffs are silhouetted against the whiteness of the sky.

The sea breaks close to the vertical.

High tide, the sea is in.

 

Wait here, I must swim the last part around the promontory.

In the next cove my clothes still lie high up on the shore.

As I sit pulling on socks and shirt, I look around for you.

 

But you are not there, you have gone.

You are not in the next bay cut like teeth marks in the coastline.

You are not anywhere here.

 

This is not your place anymore, you have moved on.

And I have just realised you are not coming back today.

Or in my lifetime.

 

This knowledge could be a freezing bucket of seawater thrown in my face.

Or a warm clear rock pool full of the life of another place.

I choose the latter as I stand ankle deep in sun warmed sea eating cake.

 

I am happy with jam traybake that has been laid out for me,

I listen to the warning

and leave the forbidden meringues.

 


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Collect Art Publication July 2023

Five Pandemic Poems