Dream Poem 27: Egyptian Seer.

At a tropical island radio station,
the telephonist is off sick and I have to take over
the nerves of telephone stage fright.

Meanwhile job applicants arrive,
a very, very old woman, a young man and a young woman
letter writing tasks are set.

At the same time in an army  tent nearby
is an Egyptian Seer,
a beautiful woman with long dark hair.

The applicants have completed their letters
and it’s time for the telephone test.

Round the side of a scout hut I meet a man
“you can kiss me if you want” I say
But he doesn’t.

I remember that I had forgotten to give the old woman a task.
I just lie down on the cool concrete floor
for a rest
while the applicants continue.

The Seer is now in a wooden hut.
Its cavernous and darkened
she is bound by rope
and hanging from the ceiling .
Fragments of light
fall on her
from the bright day outside, through the slats of wood.

Hanging in front of her is a man
A porcupine man
covered in spear-like spines all over his back.

He is spinning and swinging from the bulb-less light fixture
And every time he passes the Seer
He cuts her with his razor sharp spines
She bleeds
and bleeds
and bleeds
and dies.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Pandemic Poems

Collect Art Publication July 2023