Empty Rooms

After Charlotte Mew’s ‘Rooms’,
“Rooms where for good or ill – things died”. P 26, Modern Women Poets

The sad empty feeling I get
Like stepping into a ruin of a house
An abandoned room
Bereft of habitation
Peeling paint in an industrial mint blue
A sick, gut drop
I’m in it
The smell of fustiness
Mixed with rotted leaves.

Poetry
It takes me
Drags me where I would not walk.

A word
Is removal from my bed, my armchair
To this empty room.

This room with splintered ceiling letting in
Harsh sun light
A metal bed frame
Exposed concrete
I’m here - I’m straight here
This is my sad place
This is my desolation
My empty pit.

Where is that child?
The one I never saw with my real eyes?
Apart from
The flow of blood, the flood of blood
Which swept her away
This child
Who would be now
10 or 11.

Cloth of glowing colours floating in a Turkish sky
The sun
Making transparencies of
The woven lengths
In rich blues and magentas.

And they say
It will pass
You’ll get over it
Try for another one
It wasn’t meant to be
Nature’s way of getting rid of a mistake.

They could be right.

And they are all wrong too.
This was my child
And I loved her and understood what it is
To bear a child, to be a mother
In my own way.

I was ready
She was deeply wanted
And is fathoms deep missed
Oceans wide longed for
Mountains high mourned for
Lakes wide reflected upon 
this mystery.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Collect Art Publication July 2023

Five Pandemic Poems