Dream Poem 9: Birds Through Water

Dad was there
We were at the dinner table
He was shouting
he had dementia
“You forget stuff- you always forget stuff”
I always back down, well not this time
I let him have it
And ran upstairs.

We are in a row of terraced houses.
When I get up to the fourth floor, I see that all the houses are connected
making a long passageway under the eaves,
lit in blue reflected light as if from snow or water.

Abandoned
Abject and forgotten, rotting and decayed
I run down the length of the passage way, it is empty and deserted
The roof has fallen-in in several places and through it
I can see the Lapis firmament pricked with stars.

Under each breach,
Pools of azurite water have formed, reflecting the vault of Heaven.
Flocks of birds are flying through water – dipping beneath the surface
and rising into the roof-space.
Dripping.

Pearls of liquid beading, building and bleeding
to the bare attic planks
forming Pollock patterns under their wing gestures.

Speeding, speaking to each other
I stand awe struck and silent
As they pass in concert, sloping through a puncture wound in the plaster.

After
Dad came upstairs
Kind of apologised
I was really angry
And aggressively pushed past him to go downstairs.
Regretted it immediately,
turned on the top stair.
But he was gone
The houses were on fire.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Collect Art Publication July 2023

Five Pandemic Poems