Generative Drawing

In my studio..
I cannot write this anymore
I want to draw.

Later
In my studio once I was in the middle of the ‘sashiko Stitich ‘drawings.
I would stay late drawing and drawing into the night.
Repetitive action
With dip pen and ink
Some black
Some gold ink.

That was before
A long time before the tempera work, the ‘Interrupted Pattern’ series
Seven years difference.

The repetitive action of process drawing or as Louise Hopkins calls it Generative drawing
Altering boundaries and transforming territories.
The use of gold
The Rococo Minimalism

Why process drawing?
Creating lines of text-like marks
Bands of drawn scripts with very slight variation
A ripple through the sequence.

For the lapis and the gold
Hand drawn matrices
For the structure of slight discrepancy, an oscillation
Again a slight undulation in the skeleton
Which show subtly in the skin.

A sea swell
A disparity in the surface not seen at first glance
But when looking
And looking hard, meditating, concentrating, drifting

The line flexes, gathers, breathes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Pandemic Poems

Collect Art Publication July 2023