Play Time:

A lot has happened since that day
How can we tell you everything that has come to pass? No need.
The time will come for the unfolding, for the unbinding, For the loosing.
A piece I can tell you here and now.
It’s just for you so don’t tell.
We have to go over here by these bushes and trees. This is my house.
These branches and spiky thorns are the roof.
These trunks growing gnarly and twisted, these are the walls.
Here is the hatch,
see how I can stand here at the hatch just like mummy.
Would you like a coffee? (Just pretend, I don’t like it either).
Let me grind the beans.
Let’s pretend theses Hawthorne berries are coffee beans
I’m going to grind them with…
Let me see….
Oh yes with this stone for a coffee grinder.
The ground is hard packed soil.
Pressed down by tiny feet playing and running.
While others are spitting
Standing facing the wall for some misdemeanour
Holding hands with the nice dinner lady
The one with painted fingernails and beautiful rain mac who had her favourites
Playing kiss catch, hopscotch, skipping ropes.
Me and my friend Susannah, or Jude or Thomas were in the Hawthorne
Out of sight – in the safe house.
Until Miss Gledhill in a bee hive and 1950s suit that I thought was so elegant

Rang the hand bell for us to go in.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Pandemic Poems

Collect Art Publication July 2023