My House C/O The Cobourg Tavern and Inn

 This is the flat I lived in In Vitro
From the maternity hospital with my sick mother
I left the flat as a tiny, tiny baby
So Aunty Susan could rear me for a few (six?) months
Till mum’s back healed a little.

O tiny cry
O small defect of life
O hand
O head
O heart

Where is my baby?
where am I?
The mother undone by birth.
The baby whisked this way and that.

O hand, O eye, O mouth
Sensible from birth of the order
And priority of others.

Conditioned to silence
Conditioned to be alone
Extreme isolation and loss.

Here I am outside my flat
19 Queen Square
Now part of a Thai Restaurant.

Here is my window
A lady industriously moves behind
The lit glass
Rush, slush
Brush, shush,
Chop, click, sizzle
Back and forth she walks quickly.

Round the back – no change
Three guys in hoodies with bottles
The door painted black and Georgian
The top light showing the lit
Yellow stair-well up to our flat.

Above, the window is black and blank
Looking into the square.
Once as a two year old I went out with
Our dog George to the Cobourg Tavern and Inn
We two, our team
In we went, I saw a lot of
Men’s knees and crotches
Shuffling fag ends falling
To the wooden floor
Crushed by toe and heel.

Just me and the dog
Till someone saw. A woman.
And took us home.

Soon after it was time to
Move to Grimshaw’s house
But not yet – not till all the
Cherry trees in Queen Square
Covered the green green grass
In a flutter of pink tissue.

Giving the winos a lovely
Divan to rest on
As they drank
And I stood and watched with the dog
Till Dad came and shouted at the men

In swear language and marched me inside.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Pandemic Poems

Collect Art Publication July 2023