Diamonds

Funny old day today. 
My hair is wet from washing, 
the light shade is wafting with the currents of warm air rising from the portable radiator.
Nathaniel is sleeping and sweating by my side, 
and I've spent the day in hiatus.

Waiting.
Thinking.
Reflecting.
Undoing.

Folded inside myself
Is a paper packet.

How incongruous that a priceless collection of diamonds
Is folded like 4 oz. of sugar in a sheet of white paper.

Where are the velvet cushions? 
The tasselled and monocled butler;
The ladies maid and personal assistant,
The relatives ready to dirty their hands if it will bring the paper packet hey presto into their pocket. 

Once Dad, unpractised with the magician’s suit,
Instead of a silk scarf,
Brought out from the coat tails a desiccated, 
wrinkled old lemon.

Folded inside myself
a paper fold of diamonds.

There is only one beautiful one. 
The rest are pretties.
But this one – yes it is special.

My kin
Empathic with the water and metal in my body.

We construct a magnetic field around ourselves 
with cotton threads.
Our world is one of geometrises, 
arabesques and mandalas.

Crystal constructions in prismatic colours and forms.
We consult the image of magnetism
And believeImage result for paper packet diamonds

with the hearts and minds of faith. 

Related image

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Collect Art Publication July 2023

Five Pandemic Poems