Valentine’s Day Twice:


That Valentine’s day I woke up
Knowing that you were across the road.

The evening to come did not go to my plan.

My plan was not to see you at all.
I had sensibly and sincerely
Pushed all obsession
Into the arena of phantasy.

You were not interested or so it seemed
And I was married
And there it could have remained
Impasse.

But that evening
You arrived at my door and I
Opened to your face – touched
By your thoughtful bottle of
Red
and bottle of
white.

Who would have thought we’d drink both
Make love on the front room floor

This really was not my plan.

We talked
About unwanted letters
Who knew he liked them?
He never replied
and I
gave up
Sending them.

Somehow we kissed

This was a turning point
This was the end of one marriage
And the beginning of another
Turning on a sixpence.

The next year we awoke
On Valentine’s morning
In each other’s arms
Wondering what came next
Knowing we had begun
Something
Not knowing what
Not having planned it
Who knew?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Pandemic Poems

Collect Art Publication July 2023