Eclipse – Brogdar’s Ring


Time stands still
While I tap my feet
Ice crackles a chill
While I drum my fingers

As breath condenses
I wait listless
Blue-black my senses
My hands empty – giftless.

Once a box within a box
Was given to me
The giver a generous loves
Contents given free.

And table laid for guests
Magpie trees crowded
A lock of free hair, lest
I forget you are my Lord

A child in a chestnut skin
Silken and milk-white
A child in a cuckoo’s nest
Stolen with eyes wide and light.

What was in the gift
Swans down golden hare
Sun and moon eclipsed
Promise me – wait right there.
Just as silent birds hush
Sudden dark from daylight
Sun comes from moon, singing thrush,
Meet me by Brogdar’s ring tonight.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Pandemic Poems

Collect Art Publication July 2023